Monday, April 14, 2014

san pedro de atacama, chile


After my tour in Uyuni a driver took me to the Chilean border where I waited for a micro to cross the border and get me to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile.


Everything is ´pare´ here, not ´alto´ like in México.


I took a tour to Valle de la Muerte & Valle de la Luna. It was scorching hot out here in the driest desert in the world.







Salt!


Some light hiking and spelunking were involved.





I remember taking a picture of this & wondering what ´cabineros´ were. Funny, a later post will explain how I got to meet & chat with several Chilean Cabineros.


Chilean sandwiches have huge buns!


I haven´t been horseriding in over 10 years, and I´ve been wanting to change that for some time now. What better way to break that unfortunate trend than by going riding in the Atacama Desert in Chile. 

There was a bit of a learning curve as the riding style is different than the bits I remember learning about as a girl. 

It was a perfect route, mostly relaxing and flat with chances to gallop into the heat of the sun, like in some sort of Western movie. We also pranced into Death Valley and later on a narrow trail up a sandy mountain.


My awesome guide Marta who may or may not have forgiven me for being 30 min late. There I was, thinking I was 30 min early, when in reality I was late since I was still on Bolivian time. This also explains the previous day when my tour agency was rushing me when I thought I had another hour before the tour started. There was also literally only one space left for the tour :)



I miss my Bolivian sunglasses.



I saw a sign for mote con huesillo & had no idea what it was. First I asked if it was a drink or food & if it were vegetarian. Glad I tried it, yummy peach & wheat drink which has liquid & solid components.





The hostal I was staying at had a list of rules, including that, after checking out, guests ¨have no right¨ to stay at the hostel or use any of its ammenities.



No comments:

Post a Comment