Tuesday, April 1, 2014

la paz, bolivia

I wasn´t expecting my bus to take a boat to get to La Paz, but that´s how it was. 


The outskirts of the city:



The first view of La Paz nestled in the mountains, all the tiny red buildings flowing like waves is something that this picture surely doesn´t capture.


I didn´t even realize I had my own eatery here in Bolivia.


The altitude it high here, so it´s easy to get outta breath when you walk around hill-y La Paz. 


I was looking forward to the Witches Market. You can find lots of gimmicks, but there are some cool things, such as baby llama fetuses which are bought to be burried beneath Bolivian house foundations as an offering to local indigenous Goddess Pachamama of the Andes. 

My guidebook also spoke of coca leaf readers in the market, but it said foreigners are often turned away. I tried my chances & it wasn´t an issue at all. Well, when the reader spoke, he kept shuffling his words all around, mixing them together & mumbling. So, I understood what I could. 

He had me blow on the leaves & he lay them out, to tell me my fortune. Honestly, he didn´t say too much of interest, and nothing I didn´t already know about my circumstances. Still, a cool experience. 



stray. dogs. are. everywhere.


Finally found the place where they sell the campesina skirts. 



I always feel like one day I´m going to get punched in the face for taking so many photos of people in public places, eating, selling, just living their daily lives. 





Museo de la Coca is a fascinating little place to learn about the history and cultural importance of the coca leaf in Andean culture. I had amazing! notes! that I took from this museum, but a future post will explain why I no longer have them. 

I highly recommend this museum for better insight into all aspects past, present, and future of the magnificent coca leaf.






This is a good street.





All around Bolivia I saw this sign. Apparently Bolivia has an active history of activism, so this seems a reminder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment