Monday, April 14, 2014

arequipa, peru


This isn´t what I imagine a chicken palace would look like.


Plaza de Armas




Monasterio de Santa Catalina, where the nuns hang out. It´s like ¨a city within a city," with rooms, kitchens, an art gallery, orchards, streets, and more. It was founded in 1579, less than 40 years after the Spanish arrived in Arequipa. It served as a place for nuns of all ages "to serve .. never again to return to their homes  and families."

The nuns used to communicate with the outside world through these:



 I love stairs that go nowhere.



The nuns had extremely basic lodgings. Each room had a bed, an altar, a chair, and maybe a few other fixtures. Plenty of light comes in through the windows and skylight.



This is where the laundry happens.



 I also went to Museo Santuarios Andinos which teaches about the fascinating story if ice princess Juanita. Unfortunately, no photos were allowed!

Juanita was a girl of 12-14, and she must have been very special since she was burried on top of Volcano Ampato as an offering from the Incas. Frozen in the ice, she was found in 1995 with many parts of her body intact, including her heart, stomach, muscles, and skin. She was burried in the fetal position and with other objects like coca leaves and brooches. Through DNA mitochondria studies researchers even discovered that her last meal was 8 hours before her death.

Other children were also burried nearby, but the top was reserved for Juanita for some reason. Normally you're able to see Juanita at the museum, but when I went we were only able to see her cousin Sarita as Juanita is away for further research.

The museum houses textiles, metals, pots, and other things burried with Juanita. It'so chilly & dark inside to ensure the preservation of the artifacts.

Items from an Arequipeño grocery store & street markets:







Boy am I glad I got out ta Chile when I did. If I had been there a few days longer I would have been in the region affected by an 8.0 earthquake. As it was, I felt the death trembling for 40 seconds when I was in Arequipa.

No comments:

Post a Comment