Wednesday, July 23, 2014

mompós, colombia

From Venezuela, I decided to head back into Colombia at a different border than the one I entered. This was partly because the Cúcuta border is more frequented (less problems and questioning for me?) and it would be a way for me to avoid backtracking and see new places along the way. Thus, I slowly made my way to Mompós in Colombia.

Not the most direct of routes, but that's Mompós for you. Cab to the bus terminal, bus to San Cristobal, por puesto to Cúcuta (with lots of military and police checkpoints and waiting in long lines in the heat), buseta to Bucaramanga, bus to El Banco, and finally a truck to Mompós. All that took well over a day of traveling, and it included our bus taking a boat down a river as Mompós isn't accessible by road directly.

Getting to and passing the border wasn't fun in the stifling heat, but it was more colourful with the commentary between the Venezuelan driver and the Colombian passenger. The best part is that I crossed without any issues, though I did get a double take when I pulled out my Canadian passport leaving Venezuela. This marks my 4th time dealing with Colombian customs officers at 3 different border crossings, and each time they have been polite, efficient, and welcoming to boot.

Leaving Venezuela, our car got pulled over at the last inspection point and a jerry of gas was confiscated from our driver's trunk. The jerry was then added to a collection of 30 plus containers sitting to the side of the road!

Hormiga culonas - fat bottomed ants - which are famous in Bucaramanga. I didn't sample them!


My guidebook described Mompós as "gothic tropicalia" and I was instantly intrigued. I think I was imagining something with a little bit more grandeur and mystique, but I don't regret coming here even though it wasn't quite as unique as I'd imagined.









Lots of residents sit in their rocking chairs on their porches in the evenings when it cools down slightly.



I didn't do much in town other than walk around the streets and hang out with a British expat living in Bogotá.





Slabs of meat for sale on the side of the road and 7 eager dogs waiting, wishing, wanting.




The bus driver just pulls over whenever he sees something he wants to buy along the route. Today, it's melon.


No comments:

Post a Comment