Tuesday, May 13, 2014

otavalo, ecuador

After my tour to Cotopaxi I went straight to the bus station to take a bus to Otavalo. A few days ago I actually went to the bus station to try to buy 3 bus tickets in advance, but the companies just told me to come back and buy on the day of travel since there were frequent departures. 

I arrived at the bus terminal around 7pm which was earlier than I was expecting - great! Ugh, then I saw a line up with about 10 people in front of me. It was a slow line, but I eventually got to the booth and they told me I was supposed to be in a different lineup. I guess that the company normally goes to Otavalo, but since it was Friday night and the Saturday morning market is famous in Otavalo, only one bus company was devoted to the journey. I looked in horror through the rain at a winding lineup of around 150 people. I would have taken a picture of the line, but I was too busy contemplating pulling my hair out. It was frustrating since I had ventured all the way out to the station (Trole and bus) to try to buy early, but now I had to deal with this.

I slowly trudged over to the end of the line, trying to think about my next move. That's when a taxi driver approached me and asked if I'd be interested in being the 4th person to pay $12 for a ride to Otavalo (the bus ride is $2). I jumped at the offer and away we went.

A few hours later we arrived in Otavalo. I'd actually booked my hotel in advance, but they didn't have my booking. All was fine, however. The hotel was new, nice, and at a good location.

The next morning I wandered around the colours and sights of Otavalo Market.







'belts' Otavalo women wear


A lot of the handicrafts here are expensive. At some stalls you can bargain, but not all. A number of vendors offered me an initial price, but then right away said they would give me a discount for the first purchase. 







I went crazy over all the bead work.








pan de yuca & agua aromatica




There are not only stalls with goods for sale, but vendors also walk around trying to entice a sale out of you.



Love the golden beaded necklaces Otavalo women wear. The beads range from fine to thick chunky ones. The beads are strung on flimsy-looking string, but the necklaces can be quite costly, with the large-beaded ones costing $90 easily.















By the afternoon I was ready to catch my bus back to Quito, and then from Quito to Mindo (there are no direct buses between them).

I was checking out of my hotel when the owner asked me if I wanted to make a free call to Canada since he had a magic jack. It was perfect timing too, since it was the day before Mother's Day. I took up the opportunity and called home for a quick chat.

I was ready to head to the bus station and I was going to hail a cab because it was raining like crazy but the owner offered to give me a ride! Amazing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment