Friday, May 16, 2014

ipiales, colombia

Childhood dream fulfilled. As a girl I remember wanting to visit Russia and Colombia. Of course, I didn't know much about either country, I just knew that I wanted to go! Well, now I can say that I've stepped foot in both countries :)

Leaving Quito and Ecuador, I caught a bus to Tulcán, a taxi to the border for stamp/passport formalities, and a collectivo into Ipiales, Colombia.

I started my trip booking hostels in advance, but now I just tend to show up, wander around or ask for recommendations.

An arepa, first introduced to me by my Venezuelan friend when we made them together. They were still the best arepas I've had.


There isn't a lot to see in Ipiales, but the one famous attraction is the Santuario de las Lajas, a church built to "commemorate the appearance of the Virgen." It's built against a gorge by a waterfall and pilgrims come from far and wide to be here. 

With the bountiful stairs, waterfall, viewpoints, and lush mountains, it reminds me of Taiwan.

My taxi driver was thoughtful enough to pullover to give me a view of the church from afar.


Then there was the walk down stairs, passing vendors selling drinks and rosaries toward the sanctuary.




It's weird seeing large currency numbers again. I was getting spoiled in Ecuador with it using the US dollar, so there was less mental gymnastics come purchase time. That being said, this is good practice for my larger numbers listening/speaking skills in Spanish!










Back in the centro.


Hmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment