Saturday, September 6, 2014

df, méxico

Time to face the demons.

Back to my old haunts in Mexico City.


It automatically felt so familiar to be back in Mexico City. I did notice some changes, though. More smart phones and less informal metro vendors. But, it was more of the same than different.

Feeling worn, I decided to spend the last days of my trip in a familiar city and visit some friends who live here. No more buses! No more lugging the bags around!


tongue twisters




The ever-useful vampire killing kit. Do you have yours?


When you think of Mexico, you might think of tacos. This taco stand was supremely busy - that's how you know it's good!


salsa


Some displays in a metro station:






the zócalo





They were selling cups of pomegranate seeds with lime.





My friend made me lunch, and this is how it started out:


I met another friend and we walked his lively pups in a park in Polanco.



And now, it's time to fly back to Canada. With the exception of my flight to Lima and one to Salto Angel, I haven't caught another plane during the last five and a half months. If you can do it this way, it's much better for seeing and experiencing more.



I thought about writing a list of reflections for my last post about this trip, but I've decided against it. Since returning to Canada, some friends have asked me - What did you learn? Well, there's been so much. This kind of travel gives you the privilege of learning about a country's history and culture, multiple languages - including your own, people and how they behave and think, and about yourself - sometimes things you didn't want to admit about yourself, while other times you pleasantly surprise yourself.

The things that I've learned from this trip are things that will come out regularly when I talk with you, since they are things that inevitably affect your character and outlook on life.

There is no doubt that traveling is one of the best forms of education, and I just feel glad that I had the opportunity and will to make this trip happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment