Wednesday, August 13, 2014

león, nicaragua

Hot hot hot. Yes, it´s very hot here.

My original idea was to visit Granada, Masaya, and Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua, but I ended up having an unpleasant time in terms of hotels, luggage storage, and most interaction with any tourism-related person in Managua. And so, fed up, I just decided to move onward, to see a different section of the country, and at the same time, getting closer to other Central American countries.

León is one of Nicaragua´s colonial cities, and it´s was quite quiet when I visited. Granada is the other colonial city, and both fought to become the capital. León was politically more liberal, while Granada conservative. Ultimately, Managua was designated as the capital.


I checked out the museum of famed local poet Ruben Dario.






cathedral presence




I thought that the juices from this popular shop seemed too cheap to be true. Then I tasted how much water was in the drink and understood.




Casa del Obrero, under construction. This is the place where Anastasio Somoza Garcia (of the 4 decade Somoza dictatorship) was assasinated. ¨López Pérez, dressed as a waiter to gain entry to a party for dignitaries, fired the fatal shots.¨




Passionfruit - one of my favourite fruits.



No comments:

Post a Comment